Article 2: ORGANIZATION
The Society was founded in Thessaloniki, Greece, where it is registered. The Society shall be a scientific, professional, non-political and non-governmental organization for public benefit.
2.1. General Assembly
- The Congress Organizing Committee under the administrative authority of the BaSSCouncil, shall ensure that only active members enter the hall and vote in the General Assembly.
- The penultimate issue of the General Assembly Agenda shall be the establishment of the location of future congresses upon proposals of the Council.
- The last issue of the General Assembly Agenda shall be the acceptance or otherwise of applications for membership approved by the majority of the Council at the previous Council meetings.
2.2. Council Meetings
- Each country must be represented by at least by one councilor, in default of this they will be bound to accept the decisions of the Council without any discussion.
- The autumn Council Meeting will be financially supported by the BaSS Bank Account with an amount which will be decided by the Council in the Council Meeting during the BaSSCongress prior to the autumn Meeting
2.3. Establishment of Country Sections in BaSS
- Purpose: The purpose of establishing Country Sections in BaSS is to:
- Promote theideaofBaSS
- Promote theBaSSCongresses
- Distribute theBalkanDentalJournal
- Prepare and maintain the list of active members
- Organize the travel arrangements of their section members to enable them to participate in the various activities of BaSS (congresses, meetings etc.)
- Distribute the ID cards
- The active BaSS members of each country constitute a Section. Every two years the Section should meet to elect two councilors and two deputy councilors as their representatives to theBaSS Council.
- One of the councilors of each country shall be elected as Sectional Secretary and one of the deputy councilors should be elected as Sectional Treasurer.
- The duty of the Sectional Secretary is to collaborate with the General Secretary and the BaSS Honorary Treasurer in the preparation of the list of active members, to promote the idea ofBaSS and the BaSS Congresses, to recruit new members and to distribute the BaSS Journal and the ID cards.
- The duty of the Sectional Treasurer is to collect the annual BaSS fees and forward them to the BaSS Honorary Treasurer. Local Sections may collect money through their activities. This money belongs to the Section can be spent on the functions of the Section and postal expenses for the BJS.
2.4. Headquarters Office
- The BaSS Headquarters Office is financially supported by the BaSS Bank Account annually, with an amount determined by the BaSS Council during the Autumn Meeting
- The BaSS Headquarters Office employs a secretary and an accountant to take care of the correspondence and the financial bookkeeping of the society, respectively.
- The BaSS Headquarters Office will enforce the implementation of an electronic database for Membership and Congress Participants managed by a person appointed by the BaSS Council
2.5. New BaSS Council officers
- Other Balkan Countries fulfilling the constitutional requirements as described in articles: 7.1 paragraphs 3 and 4 (page 5) and 8.3 paragraph 3 (page 6) of the BaSS Constitution, wishing to participate in the Balkan Stomatological Society, apply to the BaSS Council and after approval by the BaSS General Assembly will be added below and will be represented to the BaSS Council with two Councilors and two deputy Councilors.
Article 4: AWARDS
4.1. BaSS Publication Award
4.1.1. General information
- The BaSS Annual Award is given for the best paper published or accepted for publication in an International Journal during the preceding year. Manuscripts accepted for publication but not yet published should be accompanied by a copy of the acceptance letter from the journal editor.
- The award is annual provided that a meritorious paper is nominated.
- The BaSS publication award consists of a plaque and a cash prize provided by the BaSS Account.
- To promote excellence in any of the fields of dentistry related research and to recognize outstanding research contributions.
- To foster research among junior investigators.
- To support improvements in dentistry through the stimulation of junior researchers.
- The candidatesmust:
- Hold a degree in dentistry.
- Be a junior researcher (not older than 35 years).
- Work in any of the countries members of BaSS
- Verify in writing that he/her is not in receipt of any other award for the same paper.
- A call for interest should appear in the first issue of each year of the Journal and in the web-site of BaSS.
- Under the responsibility of the president of the Scientific Committee and through the Secretary General a call for interest will also be send to all dental Schools and Institutions of the countries members of BaSS. This willbedonethroughthecountryrepresentatives (councilors).
- Applications should be addressed to the General Secretary and copied to the president of the Scientific Committee.
- Applications must include the following:
- Nominee’s name, address, date of birth (accompanied by a copy of his/hers passport), current place of work, position.
- Curriculum vitae.
- Three reprints of the paper.
- A brief letter accompanying the paper describing why it is deemed worthy of an award.
- Candidates will be acknowledged in writing or by e-mail.
4.1.6. Scientific Committee and BaSS Annual Award
- Committee members who have a vested interest in one of the candidates shall be excluded.
- Applications shall be reviewed by the Scientific Committee.
- The Committee’s decision should be made a month before the Congress and the winner will be notified immediately.
- The name of the winner will be announced during the Congress.
- A short C.V. of the winner and an extended abstract of his awarded work will appear in the last issue of the year of BJS with the permission of the journal that had originally published the article.
- The winner to present his/her work in a 20 min lecture at the Congress.
4.2. BaSS Congress Awards
- BaSS Congress Awards are given by BaSS at the BaSS Congresses, in order to promote the scientific activities and dental research.
- For this purpose the BaSS Council convenes the Awards Committee. The president of the Awards Committee is the president of the Congress Scientific Committee. The juries of the Awards Committee are appointed by the BaSS Council. The Awards Committee takes decisions by a simple majority of the members present. In tied votes the President’s vote counts double. The final decisions for the Awards are given in writing in a sealed letter to the President of the Congress to be announced at the closing ceremony.
- The Awards are given by the jury for the best 3 oral presentations. The Awards will be allocated without distinction. They will consist of a memorandum diploma, issued by BaSS and the amount of one thousand Euro (1.000€) provided by the BaSS account (500€-300€-200€ for 1st, 2nd and 3rd award)
- Only oral presentations shall be considered for the competition. The paper must be the result of an original research (basic, experimental or clinical) and it must be presented for the first time and not in receipt of any previous Award. If the research is team work, the approval of all the members of the team is required.
- The candidate must be a member of BaSS first author of the paper, under the age of 35 (including), the presenter of the paper and should not be a senior academic (professor or associate professor). Senior academics are not prohibited from participating in a work and taking part in the competition, as long as they are not first authors.
- The candidates should inform the Scientific Committee, about their application on their abstract form. The Congress Scientific Committee has the duty and the responsibility of determining whether the above criteria have been fulfilled. A preliminary selection of the candidate abstracts fulfilling the above criteria should be prepared by the President of the Scientific Committee and distributed to the Award Committee juries. The candidate papers should be submitted to the Scientific Committee in full text at least one month before the beginning of the Congress. All the candidate papers in full text should be in the hands of the Award Committee juries at least ten days before the beginning of the Congress.
- All candidate papers will be presented at a special session in front of the Awards Committee members.
- Extra Awards could be given in the same as the above procedure by persons, organizations or firms with the approval of the BaSS Council, which will specify the terms of the competition.
4.3. BaSS Distinguished Member Award
4.3.1. The BaSS Distinguished Member Award is established and is bestowed to an Active Member who has served BaSS demonstrating an undisputed significant contribution to the Society.
4.3.2. The BaSS Distinguished Member Award is granted after a unanimous decision of the BaSS Council following a proposal signed by at least three Country Delegations (all six Councilors) submitted in writing to the Secretary General of the Society at least two months before the Autumn BaSS Council Meeting and a decision is reached during the Autumn Meeting as a separate item of the Agenda to be validated by vote of the Active Members during the BaSS General Assembly.
4.3.3. The BaSS Distinguished Member Award is presented to the recipient, during this same General Assembly after completion of the vote, by the President of BaSS
4.3.4. The recipient of the BaSS Distinguished Member Award receives a certificate signifying the award, is exempt from annual membership dues for life, and retains all the rights and privileges of an Active Member.
4.3.5 Eligible for the BaSS Distinguished Member Award are Active Members who fulfill at least three of the following criteria:
- Is a founding member of BaSS
- Has served as President of BaSS
- Has served BaSS as member of the Executive Committee for at least two terms(4 years)
- Has served as BaSS Councilor for more than four terms (8 years)
- Has an undisputed contribution in the promotion of BaSS worldwide or in International Scientific Fora.
- Has served as President of a BaSS Congress
Article 7 : STUDENT EXCHANGE PROGRAM
- Regulations for the undergraduate and postgraduate student exchange programme shall be formulated and recorded in writing.
- In order for the program to be realized the dental Faculties accepting the student exchange programs should be contacted.
- A committee formed from the members of each country should work on solving the financial problems.
Article 8 : MISCELLANEOUS
- All previous decisions related to the above regulations are replaced with the new established articles.
- For those issues who are not covered by the newly established articles of regulations, relative previous decisions remain active.
These articles were conducted and agreed during meetings in Sofia (November 2004) and signed in Belgrade the 11th of May 2005 by the following members of the Council:
- Prof. N. Atanasov, president
- Prof. N. Yazicioglu, past president
- Prof. A. Iliescu, president elect
- Prof. M. Vulovic, vice president
- Prof. P. Koidis, secretary general
- Dr. G. Tsiogas, honorary treasurer
- Prof. L. Todorovic, editor-in-chief
- Prof. R. Qafmolla, councillor for Albania
- Prof. P. Kongo, councillor for Albania
- Ass. Prof. N. Sharkov, councillor for Bulgaria
- Dr. Z. Mihailov, councillor for Bulgaria
- Prof. N. Carcev, councillor for F.Y.R.O.M.
- Prof. J. Gjorgova, councillor for F.Y.R.O.M.
- Ass. Prof. L. Zouloumis, councillor for Greece
- Ass. Prof. K. Louloudiadis, councillor for Greece
- Dr. E. Cilasun, councillor for Turkey
- Prof. H. Bostanci, councillor for Turkey
- Prof. D. Stamenkovic, councillor for Serbia and Montenegro
- Dr. M. Barjaktarevic, councillor for Serbia and Montenegro
- Dr. G. Pantelas, councillor for Cyprus
- Dr F.Kuntay, councillor for Cyprus
- Prof. O. Blagojevic, councillor for Bosnia-Herzegovina
- Prof. H. Sulejmanagic, councillor for Bosnia-Herzegovina
- Dr E.Kuvarati, deputy councillor for Albania
- Assoc. Prof. M. Dinkova, deputy councillor for Bulgaria
- Prof. M. Akkaya, deputy councillor for Turkey
- Dr. S. Solyali, deputy councillor for Cyprus
- Prof. S. Kobajlisa, deputy councillor for Bosnia-Herzegovina
- Dr S.Kostadinovic, deputy councillor for Bosnia-Herzegovina